Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Thing Men Wonder About

I had an interesting conversation with my co-worker James today. Let me provide you with a little backstory before I continue with my theory. Prior to my conversation with James, I was telling my other co-worker Ana that I was planning on getting my nails done today (which I did). Being girls, we were rambling on whether or not we like acrylics, or just a plain manicure, and I was telling her that I need a fill for my acrylics and was going to paint them red (which I did). James being the crazy 20-something he is, proceeded to ask me "Why do girls care about getting their nails done so much?"

My answer, "Because it allows us to pamper ourselves and feel sexy," brings me to the further reasoning of this blog.

Why do women get their nails done? I know for me, I do it mostly because customers look at my hands all day when I'm counting money. I do it to feel pampered and feel good about myself. Is it a necessity? Probably not, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy going through the process of going to my regular nail lady and going through the motions of getting a manicure.

Women are judged by the opposite sex almost every minute of every day. Men look at what we wear, how we style our hair, if we smell good, if he have perfect teeth, if our asses look nice in jeans, and a whole spew of other things I can't think of right now. Us women always have to look our best in almost any environment we put ourselves in. Most of the time, if we don't, most guys won't even give us a second look.

But is it the same for men? I'm sure to some extent it is. But like James was saying earlier, men apparently don't really care how their nails look or anything like that. It's all based on appearances as to whether or not a woman will find the opposite sex attractive. Mind you, this theory is coming from a man who goes clubbing a lot and spends lots of time with his "dudes" and just parties hardy.

Sorry to burst your bubble, James, but on this one, I think you're wrong. Sure physical attraction is a must, but it's not everything. You can't have a relationship solely based on sex. Well, you can. but then you'd be a mistress and it'll all end bad. Personality is more important that physical appearance by far. A relationship needs depth and that requires having things in common and having conversation about goodness knows what.

None of that can easily be achieved bases solely on appearances, but then again, it can't get started without noticing certain things about the opposite sex, whether or not her nails are manicured, or he is well put together.

-Fin-


No comments:

Post a Comment