Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Directions

Yes, new directions, and no, not like the name of the show choir group on Fox's hit show Glee. I had a heart-to-heart with my mom today about how things have changed for the both of us in the last three years.

First, three years ago I was a completely different person. I basically pushed everyone out of my life except for my close family and not even a handful of friends. My mom and I hadn't even begun dealing with the loss of my dad (who passed away at age 55). We were so traumatized and shocked by how quickly our lives fell apart. I gained weight and was depressed for months, almost dropping out of school and not wanting to continue living the life I did without my dad in it. My mom was devastated and crushed because she lost not only her husband of 22 years, but her best friend, too. It took me two and half years of coping with the loss of my father to lose the weight I gained during shiva (the Jewish grieving process).

Second, my mom and I have had to work up the courage to go to places my dad loved to go to or foods he loved eating. This past summer, I was able to score free tickets to one of the last regular season Giants games against the AZ Dbacks. Let's just say it was an overwhelming experience walking into AT&T Park without my dad leading the way to our 13 rows behind home plate seats. I was with a group of my friends who kept pouring margaritas down my throat (well like three of them) and keeping me calm, getting me into the game. After that experience, I vowed to myself that I will get back into the groove of going to Giants games again. Especially since they are World Series champions.

Lastly, my mom has come around more than I ever thought she would. She has told me that she can never date another American man because she would hold her expectations to that of my dad, and my dad is irreplaceable. No one can compete with him, that's for sure. My mom is slowly but surely putting herself back out there and I couldn't be prouder.

My mom and I are both headed in a new, successful direction. We are doing things we have only dreamed of! (Traveling, splurging) It can only get better from here, I am sure of it.

-Fin-

No comments:

Post a Comment